PaperCut MF integrates with Sharp MFDs leveraging the latest technologies in Sharp’s OSA (version 3 & 4) while maintaining backward compatibility with all previous versions. PaperCut MF improves control over the Sharp OSA enabled MFDs by enabling the tracking, charging or billing of “off the glass” copying. The goal of PaperCut Software’s embedded Sharp OSA enabled MFD solution is to leverage the capabilities of Sharp devices providing walk-up copier users with the same set of rich application features provided for print control including:
- End user authentication including integration with single sign-on environments such as Active Directory, Open Directory, eDirectory, LDAP and others
- Optional proximity and swipe card authentication (via standard USB based readers)
- Group-based access control to the device and color copying
- Monitoring and control of photocopying, scanning and faxing (quotas, charging, allocation and logging)
- Allocation of copying, scanning and faxing to accounts/departments/cost-centers/projects
- Releasing jobs from a hold/release queue (secure printing)
The Sharp embedded solution is developed in-house by the PaperCut Software development team. This ensures that the copier interface is consistent with the workstation print interface, meaning users only have to learn one system and one set of terminology.
PaperCut is a single integrated solution where print and copier control are all managed in the one system. Users have a single account and administrators have the same level of reporting and administration for all services. The embedded solution interacts with the PaperCut server using a Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) and web services based protocols.
Rate of Development:
PaperCut is developed under a release-often policy where new features are made available to users as soon as they are complete. Unlike hardware based solutions, new versions can be delivered to users regularly as software updates.
PaperCut remains true to its vendor neutral stance. All embedded solutions are equal and support all server OS’s including Windows, Linux and Mac.
A large percentage of PaperCut’s user base is in education environments where security is important. All embedded solutions are developed with security in mind. Where security objectives can’t be satisfied, any deficiencies are fully disclosed.
- Leverage your existing single sign-on infrastructure by allowing users to log in with the same username and password used elsewhere on the network. No need to remember and maintain multiple logins!
- Integrate with existing single sign-on environments such as:
- Microsoft Active Directory
- Apple Open Directory
- Novell eDirectory
- Other LDAP, NIS or POSIX environments
- Optionally authenticate using convenient ID numbers and optional PINs for extra security
find-me printing integration
Also known as “Follow Me” or “Pull Printing”, Find Me printing provides users in environments with several identical multi-function devices to print to a single virtual global queue. They can then walk up and log on to a nearby available device and have their print job pulled from the global queue and printed on the spot.
real-time copy tracking and control
- Users are provided with realtime feedback of their account balance and cost as the job proceeds
- Charge different types of copying at different rates
- All usage is reported centrally in the PaperCut logs
- Optionally apply quotas to limit what users can copy
track faxing and scanning
- Track scanning to e-mail or to a file
- Track the sending of faxes
- Simple per-page cost model or 2-tiered cost model for volume discounts
- All usage reported live in the PaperCut logs
- Filter job logs to display just copy, fax or scan jobs
seamless user experience
- Provide users with the same account selection options they use for printing via the popup
- If shared account access is granted, users have the option to select accounts from a list or using a PIN
- Control access to accounts using Active Directory groups
consolidated reporting and management
- By device (printers & copiers)
- By user
- By shared account (client, department, faculty)
- By location
- By date and time / period
- By environmental impact
PaperCut’s embedded solutions work together with the PaperCut server software. This means that you benefit from a choice of server operating system (Windows, Linux, Mac, and Novell) and all management is conducted from one single location. There are no hidden extras such as external dependencies or database licensing.